The awarding of all NSPE Educational Foundation scholarships is dependent on NSPE Educational Foundation funds being available in the annual cycle in which the NSPE Educational Foundation scholarship is awarded. If you have specific questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications can be filed electronically to email@example.com (this includes completed application form, letters of recommendation, and other supporting materials)
Official transcripts may be mailed to:
The Maureen L. & Howard N. Blitman, P.E., Scholarship
1420 King St.
Alexandria, VA 22314
The Maureen L. and Howard N. Blitman, P.E., Scholarship to Promote Diversity in Engineering is awarded annually to a high school senior from an ethnic minority who has been accepted into an ABET-accredited engineering program at a four-year college or university.
The scholarship is awarded in two disbursements of $2,500 each at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters of the freshman year.
Applicant must be a high school senior who:
- is a member of an underrepresented ethnic minority in the field of engineering: African-American, Hispanic, or Native American,
- has been accepted into an ABET-accredited engineering program at a four-year college or university, and
- is a U.S. citizen.
Applications will be evaluated based on:
- grade point average
- internship/co-op experience and community involvement,
- two faculty recommendations,
- honors/scholarships/awards, and
- answers to the four questions on the application.
Required Application Materials
Applications must include the following:
- a completed application,
- a complete transcript of the high school grades,
- SAT and/or ACT scores,
- a resume or summary of internship/co-op experience(s) and involvement in other activities, and
- recommendation letters from two faculty members who have taught the applicant. Letters of recommendation and copies of transcripts may be in separate envelopes but we highly recommend that they accompany the application.
- Application must be received at NSPE by March 1.
- All applicants will be notified of the final selection by May 1.
- The scholarship will be awarded in two disbursements of $2,500 each at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters of the freshman year. The award will be credited to the student's account through the school's Office of Financial Aid.
- Upon completion of the degree, the winner will be required to submit to the NSPE Educational Foundation Trustees a report on the value of the NSPE support and their objectives regarding professional development, ethical practice, and licensure.
- The recipient of the NSPE Educational Foundation Maureen L. and Howard N. Blitman, P.E., Scholarship to Promote Diversity in Engineering will forfeit the award should the recipient drop or transfer from the ABET-accredited engineering program in which they are enrolled.Eligibility Requirements