It is the policy of the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) that members be recognized for years of service to NSPE and the profession, by the granting of a reduced amount for dues, as set forth in Bylaw 11 and further described below.
- A member shall become eligible for life-member dues status if the person has been a continuous member of NSPE for a period of 40 years and is at least 65 years of age.
- A member shall be eligible for retired-member status if the person has been a continuous member of NSPE for a period of 25 years, is at least 65 years of age, and has retired from active practice. For these purposes, "active practice" shall mean providing engineering consultation totaling more than 300 hours in a given calendar year.
- A member must request status as a life or retired member by written request to the NSPE Membership Department. Age and years of service will be confirmed by NSPE prior to granting life or retired dues status. Members who wish to be granted retired member status are entrusted to honor the provision concerning active practice as stated above.
- A member granted life-member status shall receive a waiver of dues. Life members will be encouraged to make a voluntary contribution to NSPE.
- A member granted retired-member status shall receive a waiver of one-half dues annually. The dues collected will be distributed proportionally based on the service tier.