Professional engineering societies in Connecticut, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania join to become the National Society of Professional Engineers. David Steinman, P.E., becomes the Society's first president.
NSPE establishes its headquarters in Washington, D.C. Executive Director Willard Conlon rents a suite in the Press Building at 14th and F Streets. Headquarters remained here until September 1946.
The American Engineer, originally a publication of the New York State Society of Professional Engineers, becomes NSPE's official publication.
NSPE endorses the Model Law, a document containing what the profession considered the best elements of registration laws. The Model Law was designed to promote uniformity among state engineering laws.
Due to the growing size of the organization, NSPE moves its headquarters to 1359 Connecticut Ave. in DuPont Circle, Washington, D.C. Paul Robbins is named executive director.
NSPE formally recommends that the preparation of engineers be expanded from the existing four-year program to a five-year program.
NSPE endorses the Canon of Ethics developed by the Engineers Council for Professional Development.
NSPE successfully lobbies Congress for inclusion of the Professional Provisions of the Taft-Hartley Act, which gives engineering employees the right not to join labor unions.
NSPE allows engineers-in-training to become nonvoting members.
NSPE takes action in support of creating student chapters and creates the Young Engineers Committee.